Mission Statement - De-Spinning the Pro-Taser Propaganda

Yeah right, 'Excited Delirium' my ass...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The primary purpose of this blog is to provide an outlet for my observations and analysis about tasers, taser "associated" deaths, and the behaviour exhibited by the management, employees and minions of Taser International. In general, everything is linked back to external sources, often via previous posts on the same topic, so that readers can fact-check to their heart's content. This blog was started in late-2007 when Canadians were enraged by the taser death of Robert Dziekanski and four others in a short three month period. The cocky attitude exhibited by the Taser International spokespuppet, and his preposterous proposal that Mr. Dziekanski coincidentally died of "excited delirium" at the time of his taser-death, led me to choose the blog name I did and provides my motivation. I have zero financial ties to this issue.



Thursday, February 19, 2009

Are tasers really required?

[Updated 22 Feb 2009 - to clarify the point. Sorry for not making my sarcasm more clear.]

A woman missed her flight at Hong Kong International Airport. She goes a bit crazy and starts banging on things.

In comparison to the approach used at Vancouver airport when Mr. Dziekanski was killed, it appears that the nice folks at HKIA don't considered that a taser is a fundamental prerequisite to ending this sort of situation.



I find the contrast between this video and the Dziekanski incident to be striking and revealing. It's very much like the contrast in the two incidents mentioned at this previous post [LINK].

Both of these examples clearly indicate that the first weapon to reach for is not the taser, it's deescalation. Talk to them, calm them down. And you can even still arrest them later if you really feel the urge. Safer for all concerned.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What are you talking about with this post? There is no taser involved in this post! Your inference in the title and content is completely falsified.

It's clear you are trying to infer that a taser was used here. I would ask you to review the video yourself and maybe edit the post to tell us exactly where the taser is and when it is used.

What I see is a woman who throws herself on the ground. No one ever shown in this video has a taser.

I can only assume you are trying to make people think the guy in the suit had a taser. Anyone who watches the whole video can see the guy has a small book in his hand, not a taser.

You're credibility is suspect.

Excited-Delirium.com said...

Sorry, my sarcasm was too deeply buried and has been missed. It's my fault and I'm sorry.

I will reword the post to make it clear that I'm comparing this incident (where the lady was NOT tasered) to the somewhat similar-looking incident where Mr. Dziekanski was killed.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Stand by for a clarification.