Mission Statement - De-Spinning the Pro-Taser Propaganda

Yeah right, 'Excited Delirium' my ass...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The primary purpose of this blog is to provide an outlet for my observations and analysis about tasers, taser "associated" deaths, and the behaviour exhibited by the management, employees and minions of Taser International. In general, everything is linked back to external sources, often via previous posts on the same topic, so that readers can fact-check to their heart's content. This blog was started in late-2007 when Canadians were enraged by the taser death of Robert Dziekanski and four others in a short three month period. The cocky attitude exhibited by the Taser International spokespuppet, and his preposterous proposal that Mr. Dziekanski coincidentally died of "excited delirium" at the time of his taser-death, led me to choose the blog name I did and provides my motivation. I have zero financial ties to this issue.



Saturday, December 12, 2009

My advice is...

I was recently contacted by someone that told me their story of an incident where they were being beaten up, and when the police arrived they were then repeatedly tasered. If the story is reasonably accurate (and I have no reason to think that it isn't accurate), then the police are so into the wrong side that they can't even see the moral high ground from their position.

My advice to my correspondent was to immediately find the best lawyer in town; one that will work on a percentage basis. I advised that my new friend be 110% honest in every detail with the lawyer. And, of course, sue the bastards.

Sue for an amount that will remain appropriately-large even if negotiated down. Large enough to make headlines. Large enough to send a crystal clear message.

I also advised offering a moderate discount if the settlement cheque is accompanied with an explicit, unequivocal, heartfelt, public apology and admission of wrong-doing. This advice is intended to have two results: add entertainment value for the plaintiff (watching the defendants squirm), and to add some humanity to what might otherwise become a pure legal and financial exchange.

Someone, somewhere - sitting in their little office - is going to be getting a lawyer's letter in the very near future. A letter that is going to ruin their entire year. A letter that will eventually result in their employer issuing a very large settlement cheque. Or a slightly smaller cheque accompanied by an open letter of apology.

No comments: